NSR is an initiative taken by NASSCOM. NASSCOM is the trade association of all the IT / ITeS / BPO companies in India. NASSCOM wants to promote the interests of IT & ITeS industry and help it grow. NASSCOM has taken up a significant initiative called “Trusted Sourcing”. This initiative aims to develop and project the industry as a Safe and Trusted destination for sourcing, development, outsourcing and process work so that overseas clients develop confidence with the safety of our industry and assign more work.
One of the important attributes of the Trust and Safety environment is robust and credible information about industry employees. This is not available today, every company needs to collect information about employees, use its practices to get such information verified and than present to clients. This process is both costly and inefficient and also does not reflect upon trust environment in good light.
NASSCOM, at the request of its member companies, has taken up the initiative to develop a robust information infrastructure about all present and prospective employees of the industry called “National Skills Registry (NSR)”. NSR facilitates development of Fact Sheet of Credible, Permanent and Accessible information about each registered person. This information can be accessed and used by the industry and its clients with the authorization of such registered person.
NASSCOM has engaged the services of NSDL Database Management Limited (NDML) for creating, operating and maintaining the NSR. NDML is a subsidiary of NSDL- the first depository in India. For more information about NSDL please visit : About Us.
NSR is a progressive and positive initiative. It seeks to connect the professionals working or hoping to work for the industry with the companies who need information about professionals for reference, hiring, client assignments etc and background checkers who verify the information. It provides secure industry profile to professionals and credible quick reference to the participating companies. It works on the following principles :
Right to register
Every person working or aspiring to work for IT / ITeS industry has a right to register him/her and create profile on this industry reference system.
Right to declare information
Each person should register his or her correct and factual details relating to qualifications, experience and demographic information on the system. NSR does not collect information about employees / candidates from any source only the person can enter his/her information. So the person decides how to represent him / her to the industry.
One person - one profile
Each person can create only one profile on NSR thereby making identity secure and credible. Person’s Identity and Uniqueness is established during the registration process. The profile and information becomes life-time permanent.
The person has a right to seek third party verification (certification) of the information thereby enhancing the information acceptability. Information may also be verified at the request of present employer company or a company authorised by registered person to access his / her profile.
Right to share information
Registered person can choose to authorise a NSR registered company to view his/her profile. This ensures data privacy as only companies authorised by registered person can use the profile. The companies will access the profile for their reference and can request for a third party verification on the information represented by the registered professional. Present employer company declared by the person can access the profile and confirm present employ details without any specific authorization.
This fact sheet about each person contains personal, qualification and career information as entered by the person and his/her photograph. Registered professional or a participating company authorised by the professional can order for a verification of this information. The system will store results of source verification on the information as entered by empanelled third party background verification agencies (EBC). Detailed list of data-fields comprising profile of a professional is available at https://nationalskillsregistry.com/checklist.htm
The prospective employers who are part of this system can view the profiles of the registered professionals along with verification results, if authorised by such professional.
Subscribers will have access to details of registered Professionals containing pre-verified personal, academic and career information. Such an access will yield the following benefits to subscribers
- Menace of bloated resume will be eliminated as pre-verified facts are available for cross-checking.
- Comfort to the clients as the industry uses a standard practice and builds up a information infrastructure which is transparent.
- Deterrence against CV faking for the industry creates an environment of discipline where all persons getting registered tend to enter correct details and get them verified.
- One person one profile : ensure uniqueness, identity and ensures that each person represents him/her permanently in a consistent and standard way.
- Quick and credible reference to profile of professionals. Risk of engaging any employee on the basis of fake/forged documents is minimized.
- Online central system for hosting & sharing existing information as an industry resource and collecting / verifying new information. Benefit of back ground check done by any of the NASSCOM member companies will be available to all other members of the industry.
- Self sustaining system as it provides for present employment details confirmation by the employer company itself.
- Effective monitoring of back-ground checking agencies.
- Reduced paper-work and time for verification process.
- Saving in back-ground check cost and time.
- Create Uniqueness among registered professionals that helps HR process.
NSR database records personal, qualification and employment details of Professionals; details are subjected to verification by empanelled background checkers at the request of an employer or the professional. All the verification results and audit trail of updations recorded by the professional are maintained. NSR also maintains biometrics for professionals to ensure uniqueness.
The registration is divided into two steps.
Visit NSR website (https://nationalskillsregistry.com) and register your profile using the link "Register for NSR". Detailed registration checklist is available at https://nationalskillsregistry.com/checklist.htm. The site will guide you with the registration process following are important
- Read and understand the terms and conditions for registration and usage of the database.
- Declare the details of the company that has requested you to register
- Ensure to enter only correct and accurate information, if you do not have any information readily available it can be entered later.
- Memorise your passwords for accessing your profile later.
- Website registration is complete only after selecting the mode of payment and generating Acknowledgement Form.
Once the form is fully filled up, you may make the payment using your credit card on the "payment gateway". Alternatively, you may opt to pay through cash / DD while submitted bio-metrics. NSR Website will generate and Acknowledgement Form for you. You need to take a print out of this form which will contain acknowledgement number, space for your photograph, signature.
Biometric Registration with Point of Service (POS)
As NSR registration is supported by bio-metrics to ensure uniqueness of profiles, NSR has appointed centers called as POS to collect bio-metrics and conduct identity check. List of all the POS centers is available on the NSR site at https://nationalskillsregistry.com/POS.html or POS desk may be made available in your office for a limited period, check with your company HR team. You need to approach POS along with following:
- Acknowledgement Form generated from NSR website,
- Photo proof of Identity (can be any of Driving license, Passport, Voters ID card, PAN Card, Bank Passbook with photo, college ID card (not more than 1 year old), Employer ID card)
- Employer ID card (if already employed)
- Registration fee (Rs. 400 + Applicable taxes)
Registered professionals can
- Access and view their profile, each person is provided with web-based log-in facility
- Update own profile for changes such as additional qualification, address change etc. Background verified information cannot be modified.
- Order background verification report on the details recorded by it (flag: details of verification process). This in a way provides data certification and brings more credibility to the data claimed.
- View the results of background verification process
- Showcase profile to existing or prospective employer companies
- Know when such authorised companies view the profile.
NSR system ensures privacy of the data of professionals as the information can be accessed only by their present employer and such companies which are authorised by the professional.
EBCs are third party independent service provider entities that verify the authenticity of the information registered by the professionals on NSR. In order to provide consistent and standard verification services to the users of the system, NDML and NASSCOM have empanelled a few entities having expertise in the area of background verification. Empanelment is done by a "Selection Committee" comprising representatives of NASSCOM, NDML and representatives from the industry. Detailed process for empanelment of EBCs is available at https://nationalskillsregistry.com/EBC.html
EBCs have agreed to adhere to common verification process and approved reporting format, so as to ensure uniformity of approach and consistency of results in conducting verification and easy interpretation and understanding of results by users.
It is preferable that the subscribers avail the services of an EBC for background verification. EBC will conduct the verification and report the verification results according to a standard process. Verification results will be recorded by the EBC on NSR. NDML will be monitoring the performance of EBCs.
Subscriber companies act as contributors as well as users of the system
Any company that is a member of NASSCOM or approved by NSR can be user of NSR, provided it registers as a subscriber on NSR system. To subscribe to NSR, a company needs to make an application in the prescribed format. Subscriber Registration Form is available on joining-nsr.htm.
Create users to access NSR system
Each subscriber company creates users for NSR system to access the system on its behalf. These users who are its officials managing employee recruitment, verification, on-boarding and off-boarding and engagement processes access NSR on behalf of the company to perform their functions. Every user so registered can access the system through NSR website using secure Digital Signature Certificate (DSC).
Register employees and job applicants to NSR
NSR participating companies advise NSR registration to their existing employees and job applicants so as to have an online, permanent, credible and uniquely identified profile for each employee.
View the profiles of registered professionals
Company Users can view / download profiles of present employee of their company and also of such Professionals who are not employees of the company but have authorised their company to access the profile. The profiles will have information as claimed by the professional and background check results (if any).
Background Checks through the system
NSR system provides an online technology platform using which companies can set-up request for getting background check done. In case the details are already partly verified the company can get an incremental verification for only “Not Verified” information. Companies have a choice of
- The professionals for whom background check is to be conducted.
- The details about a professional which needs to be verified according to its policy or client requirement.
- The background checker among all the empanelled background checkers who should conduct the verification.
- Charges to be paid for the verification service can be negotiated directly with the selected verification agency.
Conducting checks through the system ensures electronic and fast flow of data in standard formats, permanent storage of background check reports with one click access on a central system.
Confirm details for present employees
The Companies have been provided following facilities in respect of their present employees registered on NSR
- Access their profiles without any restriction or charges till the time the employee is continuing with the company
- Confirm the present employment details as entered by the employee. This helps by providing instant source verification for the present employment details without requiring third party engagement and hence saves time and cost for everyone. This also builds a self sustaining model in which each company can confirm such details and profile keeps on building-up.
- In case of employees getting relieved from the company, confirm their relieving date on the system. This feature is again useful for the employee (acts as a relieving letter) and for the company ( as an off-boarding and dis-association process).
- Upload existing background check reports for employees.
- Record the details of any court case or FIR filed against an employee with details of documentary evidence.
Any number of users; no restriction. However, users can access the system only by using digital signature certificate.
Yes. Subscriber can get the professional’s profile verified by an EBC, NSR system will facilitate the data exchange. Subscriber can:
- select the background checker from among the empanelled entities;
- decide the fields to be verified and
- decide the charges to be paid to EBC for conducting the check
EBC will provide the verification report and upload the verification results on NSR also.
NASSCOM has already contacted major IT and ITeS companies and it is expected that all of them will subscribe to the system. All the employees of these companies will therefore join the system. It is also contemplated that all new recruitments will require the candidate to be registered on the system. These measures are expected to make this facility a standard practice for recruitments.
As of July 2011,9.4 lakh professionals working in IT /ITes industry in India have registered their profiles on NSR. 104 leading companies, representing more than 60% of industry employee strength have endorsed the initiative and are participating. List of these companies and detailed updates are available on the home-page.
No. Access to professional’s data is under the control of the professional only.
Best of the available technology and sound operational features have been employed to ensure confidentiality of data. Some of these are mentioned below
- Self Registration & authorization by the professional.
- Access Control through digital signatures.
- Firewalls / Intrusion Detection System.
- Data Encryption.
- Segregation of data server and web server.
- Checks on access / modification of data.
- Audit trail.
NSR Team will provide assistance in this.
NASSCOM and NDML have agreed to expand NSR coverage to companies in the Banking & Financial sector also.
Any member of NASSCOM is eligible to subscribe to this system and take the benefits of the project.